Retail therapy.

Friday, September 19, 2014


R-R-R-Rough stuff lately! Yesterday I had a desperately-needed therapy session and was prescribed a new medication, which I hope works, but I've been on the same meds for years, so messing with that is producing some anxiety for me. I'd rather not really get into it here when I'm doing badly, so let's focus on the aftermath... which is that I've indulged in some retail therapy.

Earlier my mom and sister told me they were heading to a department store at the mall to look for clothes and asked if I wanted to go, and just to get out of the house and stop crying at the computer, I went. I wasn't in need of any clothes and really didn't look for or want any. I just followed my mom around, commenting about what I thought was cute. She got a couple of shirts. My younger sister didn't find anything she wanted.

We had some fries at the food court and chatted about various childhood memories of ours, which was lovely, and decided to stop off at a much younger-skewing store I got a cute cream-colored faux-leather jacket a couple of years ago. (The store is rue 21, by the way.)

My younger sister found some stuff she liked there, and I locked eyes with this bag immediately. It's so fricking cute!! And it was $20, so, yay.


I've found I really like small bags. They may not carry as much, but that just means I'm not digging around endlessly in them for stray this or that. I also found this wallet, which is very "me," with its pink and its lace...


They were having a two wallets for $10 deal, so I got this one for myself to go in my slender new bag and one with elephants printed on it for my other sister, who wasn't with us. We also got her a $5 shirt with elephants printed on it. So, we kinda hit the jackpot! I'm glad we decided to swing by that store.

(I also got another item, which hopefully, I'll post about here in the next week or two. It's a post I've been compiling for a few weeks...)

When we got home, my sis and I kicked back and played some retro video games (Tetris, Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Cookie, and the incongruous Killer Instinct) while we listened to Gwen Stefani. I'm not sure I can express how much I needed to get out of the house, to relax and play meaningless games with somebody. I am really pleased with my purchases, especially the purse. It's probably my fave bag I've bought in years.

But more than buying stuff... more than material items or how (in)expensive they were... I appreciate the unexpected nature of stumbling across something that really delighted me, and I appreciate spending time with some of the people who mean the most to me, and I appreciate that my mom and I got excited about snagging my absent sister some stuff, too. It was fun to bring some things to her.

I have other stuff I've bought on the way... Blythe stuff. I technically broke my rule to never spend more than $20 on a single item, but if there was ever a week to do it, it was this week. T.G.I.F., y'all.

2 comments

  1. That's a very cute bag and a lovely colour! And by the way, congratulations on your progress with the crocheting, it really looks good :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Night Owl! Such a sweet comment! :)

    ReplyDelete