I've had quarantine brain for years now.

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Boo!

Did I scare you? Don't worry; it's just me.

I have to say, it's been so long that I don't remember how to blog. But I wanted to post, if only for the shock value.

It's also been a long time since I made a doll hat!  I made this one last night and even though it's also been literal years since I've taken a single dang picture of a Blythe, I really wanted to take a picture and post it. I am just kinda pleased with it.

I made it because I needle felted these mushrooms and my old sickness flared up. "I wanna put these on a pixie hat!"


It was already dusk out when I took these pictures, so Drew looks quite wan. (She also looks wan because her hair, previously denim blue, has faded quite a lot over the last year or two. Now it's a strange reddish-purple. But I have attained some Rit dye, so I will hopefully fix her up sometime soon. Also Drew is not generally dressed in a mori style -- or as they call it these days, "cottagecore" -- so she is a bit unrecognizable right now.) I didn't want to wait for better light in case I decided in the meantime that it wasn't exciting enough to take pics of.

Although these pics are a bit washed out, I like this little hat. The yarn is a pretty dark blue-green and it looks striking with the brown tone of the mushrooms. I also added three wooden beads on the opposite side to balance it out. I considered doing a lot more decorating but am a little rusty... Historically I have done large pom-pons on the end of hat ties, but I did these comparatively modest ones.

(Can I just say that it's been so long since I made a pixie hat that I DIDN'T EVEN REMEMBER THE PATTERN? That's wild, because I've made at least 200 hats in this pattern over the years. I had to sit down and figure out how to do it all over again.)

I might post again soon! Or I might not! Who can say where the road goes? Where the day flows? Only time.

7 comments

  1. CUTEST LI'L GIRL!! I have so ~mush-room in my heart for her and this iconic hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good pun. I can't one-up it. (............ get it)

      Delete
  2. It's so good to see you here! This hat is adorable, and the felted mushrooms are just the perfect scale for the hat! I have definitely had that experience of forgetting a pattern I wrote myself and have worked dozens of times - this is also true of when I was in a band and would routinely forget lyrics and chords that I had also written myself and practiced dozens of times! It's actually reassuring to me to know that this has happened to someone aside from me. :) Best luck on working on Drew's hair! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I hope to post a few times before the end of 2020! Also, Drew's hair is... challenging me. I've done one hour-long dye sesh and nothing whatsoever happened. I clearly did something wrong, but idk what!

      I can see how you would not permanently retain the information about lyrics and chords, since there's a lot of those and you're not using them all the time!

      Delete
    2. Oh goodness! I haven't done any dyeing of doll hair myself yet, but I know that dye results with other materials can be very weird! Good luck!!

      Delete