adventures in hand-sewing, part 2 - crop tops

Friday, June 2, 2023

Another thing I have been sewing a lot of is these tiny... crop tops? Sports bras? Not sure what to call 'em. But they're awfully cute. This yellow one on Klara, here, was the first one I made and it's a skosh wonky. Almost everything I make is wonky the first time around, because I don't really have a handle on it yet. All the ones I've made since look better!

The pattern is really nice and I highly recommend it, especially because in the scheme of Blythe wardrobe items, this one is super unique, IMHO. I don't have anything like it already! T-shirts, yes. Blouses, yes. Turtlenecks, yes. But crop tops...no! And I could totally see it styled cutely under overalls (in fact, Drew's wearing one under overalls right now!), loose sundresses with thin straps, and vests. I'm just dying at the idea of a little denim vest over one of these!

I've yet to make the undies, but I do believe I will, since Winny came sans panties! Not that I think dolls need underwear. I would imagine some outfits fit better without that layer at the waist. But since all my other girls have panties, I want Winny to as well, for egalitarian reasons!

You can see a better picture of Winny in this rainbow top here.

3 comments

  1. These are So Cute! I've never seen this style before, either, and I love it - it works so well for Blythe! (also I think most sewists experience the "the first time it's a little wonky" thing, regardless of skill level) I also want to say that your hand stitching is so impressive, and the fact that you've got such an even curved neckline on these is too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (also I think most sewists experience the "the first time it's a little wonky" thing, regardless of skill level)

      OH GOOD. That makes a lot of sense. Especially for doll clothes! It's sooo easy to have them skew a little wonky just 'cause they're so small!

      And thanks so much :') I'm honestly so so so so chuffed you'd say so!!!

      Delete
    2. It does! And you're right - tiny things are a whole other technique than, say, human sized clothing. :)

      Delete