springy skirt on

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Another post?? Yes!

Ah, sewing. I'm not good at it! I desperately wish I could be. I do not have the kind of brain that understands construction and how things go together. It also does not understand sizing things or conceptualizing things in steps. We all have our strong suits and understanding how things work is not mine!

But I've been dinking around with hand-sewing tiny doll clothes this past week because I want to make that cosplay for Lamb, as I mentioned. So the other day I made this floaty circle skirt. Klara is kindly wearing it with an old butterscotch-y MINIJIJO petticoat, on top of an ancient pale green Sugar Mag shirt that has a peplum bit the skirt entirely covers. (And a green deer-eared headband felted by me!!)

I did not use any kind of pattern whatsoever making this, which I think might be somewhat obvious. I just cut out a circle and nipped a bit out of it for the waist, and made a waistband for that bit, and hemmed it clumsily. It's even got a snap on the back. Since I don't know what I'm doing, the slight gather at the waist doesn't help the skirt sit prettily. No freakin' clue how to make it look better. Also think I want the skirt to have either more fabric to it, be really ridiculous, or less fabric to it.

I think I could really like sewing if I could acquire the skills necessary. Admittedly I'm very scared of using a sewing machine, so that's a massive hurdle in trying to tackle the whole concept. I looked up local sewing classes just now and got so petrified at the idea of trying to interact with a sewing machine.

But it's a thought. Maybe I'll feel brave and/or reckless enough to sign up for a class.

3 comments

  1. This looks amazing! Especially for not using a pattern and winging it! Seriously, give yourself some credit here, this looks so cute! if you ever have sewing type questions I'm happy to answer if I can - but you're doing great on your own! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I WILL give myself some credit! I like it well enough to blog about it! And thank you so much! I aspire to your heights! :)

      Delete
  2. Klara looks amazing! I've always loved the way you style your girls. You did an amazing job hand sewing this circle skirt, I think it sits quite nicely and the tiny stitches look very in scale for Blythe.

    ReplyDelete